Monday, September 22, 2008

Wonderful Weekend

I love the fall, and I LOVED this weekend.


So we headed to Atlanta early Friday afternoon to see opening night of one of my favorite musicals, Les Miserables. I saw Les Mis 11 years ago (also at The Fox Theatre) and was so excited to see it again. I'm lucky that I have a husband who indulges my love for musicals and plays and all such dorky things. I thought we were just going for the evening and heading back to Auburn that night, but my wonderful husband surprised me by arranging for us to stay overnight. He packed an overnight bag for me and fed the dogs (and gave Dawson her medicine). It was so nice to not have to drive back afterwards (well, for Phillip to drive back, but I always stay awake to keep him company). Les Mis was wonderful...the actors were so talented. The actor playing Jean Valjean played the role on Broadway...and used to play football at the University of Georgia! Of course, Javert is my favorite character (I feel so badly for him), and the actor playing him was great as well...the 2 men's voices blended so beautifully. The only negative aspect was that there are a LOT of people in ATL who have no clue how to behave at the theatre. Cell phones were out (and shining in our eyes!), people were talking and pushing each other around the whole time. I really hope those people choose not to come out to Wicked next month! We were able to have a relaxing dessert after the show at The Melting Pot (S'mores dipping sauce with all kinds of delicious dippers!).
Just a lovely, quicky getaway that was very reviving, and we made it back in time to see the last three quarters of Alabama's big win over Arkansas (Phillip REALLY enjoyed it! ;) )


I really, really wish I was going to be in Athens this weekend, but I'll settle for watching it. Its the biggest game in years for Alabama, and I am very excited about our chances.


I used the fabled KitchenAid mixer last night for the first time to make a very simple...but very yummy and filling...pasta recipe:


1 lb fresh very thin fettuccine
6 ounces unsalted butter
6 ounces parmigiano-reggiano cheese grated (aged 24 months) - I used a fresh parmesan-reggiano-asiago blend
1) Cook the fettuccine noodles in 1 gallon of salted boiling water for three minutes
2) At the same time, mix the butter at room temperature in a bowl with the grated cheese until the cheese almost dissolves, forming a smooth cream. If using a mixer, this should not take more than three minutes at which time the noodles will be ready.
3) Strain the pasta leaving just a small amount of water and toss the noodles with the Alfredo sauce. You'll have to mix for a few minutes, but it will eventually dissolve.
Its supposed to be the recipe for Fettuccine from Alfredo's of Rome. It doesn't really taste quite the same (I don't think anything in Alabama could taste as good as the food in Rome!), but it is so good and quick. Alfredo supposedly came up with the recipe to soothe his pregnant wife's nausea.
You can add chicken if you want a more "complete" meal, but you can't get much better comfort food.

5 comments:

Kari said...

I'm glad ya'll had fun in Atlanta and that pasta sounds really good!

Anonymous said...

what a fun weekend! sounds perfect! i love the fall too! LOVE IT!

Anonymous said...

I dont like Alabama Football but I do like the fact that you are writing on your blog regulary again. Also tonight a group of us are going to see a show at the AU theater something that Steve Martin wrote. So you can come too if you want.

Anonymous said...

oops that was me

The Wileys said...

I kind of figured it was you.

Hello!